• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Restitution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Circuit

My wife took $100 from were she worked a few months ago. The next day she felt guilty and returned. She was fired but she wasn't charged with anything. I just recived a letter from the company that says we owe $400 in civil restitution. If the money was returned how can there be damages? Also this looks like smoke and mirrors to me, should I find a lawyer? I live in Utah.

T

Tracey

Yes, find a lawyer. Restitution is a part of a criminal sentence, intended to make the victim whole. Washington limits restitution to twice the actual damages proved at the sentencing hearing. Here, the damages are small -- the only thing they could claim is the "expense" of having their attorney review the facts. Since the money was already returned, the expense should have been low.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited October 10, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">