• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving nothing to ungreatful kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sherrygirl

We live in Maryland. 2nd marriage for both of us, I have 2 children, my husband 6. Due to numerous family problems my husband has chosen not to maintain any type of relationship with 5 of his children, If he should die with only a handwritten will, excluding those 5 children from any inheritance, would it be legal? I say maybe not, he says yes. I certainly don't want to be involved with a long legal struggle with these people!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Sherrygirl said:
We live in Maryland. 2nd marriage for both of us, I have 2 children, my husband 6. Due to numerous family problems my husband has chosen not to maintain any type of relationship with 5 of his children, If he should die with only a handwritten will, excluding those 5 children from any inheritance, would it be legal? I say maybe not, he says yes. I certainly don't want to be involved with a long legal struggle with these people!
My response:

. . . and, when you called for, and received, a FREE initial consultation with a Probate attorney in your State, what did s/he say to you?

IAAL

S

Sherrygirl

Re: Re: Leaving nothing to ungreatful kids

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:

My response:

. . . and, when you called for, and received, a FREE initial consultation with a Probate attorney in your State, what did s/he say to you?

IAAL
:( and this kind of response is why people don't confer with attorneys

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: Re: Leaving nothing to ungreatful kids

Sherrygirl said:
:( and this kind of response is why people don't confer with attorneys
My response:

Well, I guess you're going to have to now - - because with an "ungrateful" attitude like yours, you're certainly not going to get any assistance from this site.

Say good-bye.

IAAL

Dandy Don

The handwritten will might be legal but unless it was carefully and specifically worded about the disinheritance it would leave you legally vulnerable to being contested by the children. It would be best if you could spend up to $300 to get the will reviewed and typewritten by a probate attorney to make sure it meets the legal requirements of your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">