• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking care of sick father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soila

puerto rico. my father had a stroke and diagnosed with progresive dementia. After more than month caring for him i had to chose a home for him because i had to return to work and family would not take care of him. my brother wants to take him out of nursing home, i am opposed. we are only two siblings, he has seen father twice in 2 months and signs with father in bank account. brother has withdrawn 7k form accaount already. i am afraid he will clear everything and i will have nothing to pay for father's care. what can i do? urgent, please help!

L

loku

There are very strict laws, with criminal penalties, designed to prevent people from giving their property away at the last moment, or even within a few years of the time that they enter a nursing home, if the result is that the Government will be expected to pay the costs of nursing home or other care, rather than the person himself from his or her assets.

I suggest you tell the above to your brother. Then if he does not stop, discuss it with the authorities of the nursing home. They will be able to at least tell you what government agency to go to that would prevent this.

Your alternative would be to go to court to have yourself declared legal guardian, or custodian of the estate.

S

soila

In court, would this be a matter of who is best fitted to take care of my father or just a matter of who asked first? Would I have to trash my brother's character to become my father's guardian for his own sake?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">