• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Mom Passed Away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SHERRY UMLAH

I LIVE IN MICHIGAN. MY MOM PASSED AWAY ON MARCH 3. WE HAD A JOINT CHECKING ACCOUNT. MY SISTER WENT BEHIND MY BACK AND GOT CONSERVETORSHIP OVER MY MOM. SHE THEN WENT TO THE BANK AND WITHDREW ALL BUT $10 FROM THE ACCOUNT. THERE WERE AUTOMATIC WITHDRAWS THAT TOOK PLACE AFTER THIS TRANSACTION. THE BANK KEPT THROWING OUT THIS PRASE AND I DON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND IT. THEY SAID THAT THE ACCOUNT BELONGED TO MY MOM 100% BUT IT ALSO BELONGED TO ME 100%. SO NOW I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OVERDRAW FEES. SOME ONE SAID THAT SINCE MY MOM PASSED I BECAME SOLE OWNER OF THE ACCOUNT. SOME OF THE MONEY IN THE ACCOUNT I GAVE TO MY MOM TO DEPOSIT FOR ME FOR SAVING. IS THIS ACCOUNT MINE? ANY OR ALL OF IT? OR DOES IT BELONG TO THE ESTATE? WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS IN THIS ISSUE AND WHAT ARE MY RESPONSIBILITIES. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP. NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO GIVE ME A STRAIT ANSWER.

Dandy Don

How much are fees and does your sister know about them? If she doesn't, then you should tell her she is responsible since she got the benefit of the withdrawn money and caused the account to be overdrawn.

Did your mother have a will?

Who is the executor of her will (hmm, let me guess-it's your sister, right?)

You need to find out from the bank how you are listed on your mother's account--is it as the account beneficiary or the account co-owner?

Your sister should be responsible for paying these fees, or you should ask the estate to pay the fees. The burden should NOT be on you, since you didn't get the benefit of spending the money.

If the estate is bankrupt (not enough money left to pay the fees), then you may want to split the payment of these fees with your sister.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">