• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 names on mortgage and one dies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lou Allen

My parents are elderly and was living in a delapitated mobile home. My sister and I had a house built with the intentions of them moving in with us. My sister and my mother's names are on the mortgage and our three names are on the deed. My sister and I were sharing the mortgage payment until her death three months after we moved into the house. We moved in in June, 2001. Since then, I am making the payment alone. My parents moved in with me after she died but can't afford to help me with the payment. My question is: Since my name is not on the mortgage, am I as much owner of the house as my sister and mother? Also, are my sister's heirs part owner of the house even though there is no equity? We had United Bilt Homes build the house and didn't put any money down. I paid for the extra things that we had to have; paint, sewer and water lines, water meter, etc. I also am paying two credit cards that we used to buy appliances, carpet, doors, etc. My sister's two daughters were supposed to sign a statement releasing their interest. However, they have not done so. Can I do anything legally to keep them from claiming interest in the house in the future?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">