• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate planning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tcrun

if i were to inherit money from a deceased parent, would my wife have any legal rights to a portion of that in the event of a divorce?Ohio

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tcrun said:
if i were to inherit money from a deceased parent, would my wife have any legal rights to a portion of that in the event of a divorce?Ohio

My response:

In Ohio, the following property is NOT marital property:

1. Property owned before marriage or property acquired in trade for property owned before the marriage or property acquired as a gift or on inheritance.

2. Property you and your spouse agree is not marital property. This agreement needs to be signed and witnessed.
Property acquired as a gift (except between spouses) or an inheritance.

3. Property acquired between the final separation date and the date of divorce.

4. Certain veteran's benefits.

5. Payment received from a claim awarded before the marriage or because of the separation.

None of these things is marital property. Each belongs to the person whose name is on the title.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">