• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

divamaggie

My brother has been named executor in my mother's will. His name is on all of her money. He and I do not get along. I do not want to be fighting with him when it comes time. Are there any suggestions I can make to my mother to prevent having to deal with my brother on that basis? Perhaps joint executorship?

Seanscott

There are (at least) two things your mom can do now to help avoid future trouble in dividing the estate.

She can state very clearly and specifically in her will how EVERYTHING is to be divided.

She can list you as a co-executor with equal rights & equal power to her estate decisions. This way every check or disbursement will have to be signed by you & your brother. You can keep an eye on each other this way.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

N

NEEDADVICE12345

Importance of Executor

I justed wanted to say how important the executor is, sad to say from recent experience. My mother-in-law recently died and the oldest of three sister, each 1/3 share beneficiaries, was named executor. She immediately took all the paperwork and has refused to share any info, even life insurance policies and accounts we are on. She only told us about the insurance when she needed us to sign to cash them in. Mom mentioned several CDs. First she said she was talking to the bank about them, but now her husband said they were all closed and they can't find any paperwork on any others. The day mom was buried she told the other sister about giving her grandchildren (not in the will and didn't tell us) money from the estate. Question 1) - do we have any rights as a surviving daughter listed on the will as equal beneficary to ask the bank what accounts she had or do we have to wait until probate. Question 2) - There are some detectie angencies that advertize doing asset searches - are they worthwhile. This is PA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">