• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate planning question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blackfoot

Hello,
I live in ct. my mom lives in ny. were the only two left in the family now since my father and grand mother died. my mother wants to put my name on her checking and savings accounts. also the home, ect. the problem i believe is i pay child support. to explain, i am current in my payments but over the years i have acumulated an arearage of $12,000. also my income tax is garnished. how will this affect my mothers accounts. should i not do this at all. what are the reparcussions.
Thank You
Ken Sprinkle

ALawyer

If she puts your name on the accounts, as owner, your ex can attach the accounts. If she names you as her beneficiary - with a pay on death or totten trust designation, then you'd inherit at mom's death, but ubtil then the money can't be attached.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">