• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting license back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Funbug

We live in California. about 9 years ago (before we were together) my boyfriend was arrested and convicted for DWI. His drivers license was suspended for 3 years. He has not been able to get his license back because one of the provisions was that he had to take a drinking driver course that is 18 months long and costs a couple of thousand dollars and we just haven't had the money.

Frankly I am fine with him not driving for the most part, although I do get tired of having to always be the driver. He rides his bicycle everywhere and has not gotten into any trouble at all since his conviction. He thinks that there may be some way for him to get a restricted drivers license without taking the course by petitioning the court but has not pursued this. I think that he can't get any type of drivers license back without taking the course. Who is right? Is there anyway to change the terms of the original conviction regarding getting his license back?

D

dankk

probably not......i'm glad he been a good boy

But saving a couple of thosuand shouldnt have been that difficult over 9 years....I mean if you have No kids, bought nothing new, No new cars, found a cheap place to rent, you should have had money to do this.

I guess being cheap and frugal was not a priority for you until now, because you wouldnt be complaining about being tired of driving him.

F

Funbug

We are buying a house together. We live in San Mateo county CA, one of the most expesive areas of the country. My car is old and he doesn't have one. We do have kids. 3 between the both of us, none together and his boys live with thier mother and he pays child support. We are as cheap and frugal as we can be and he gets around really well on his bike. If he had ever wanted it badly enough we could have managed to afford it but have chosen to spend our money fixing up our house.

D

dankk

well you have your answer right there.

its a personal choice.

F

Funbug

My actual question was if there is a way for him to get his license back or even a restricted license without taking the course by petitioning the court somehow since it has been so many years and since he has not been in any trouble since. He thinks he can but has not tried. I think there's no way around taking the course. I think the bottom line is that he doesn't want to go to the class but wants his license back. I appreciate your response dankk but "probably not" is the same answer I have for him and I was looking for something a little more definitive. Thanks to anyone who can respond.

Last edited:
F

Funbug

Hey that "edit" button is a handy feature. Duh.

Last edited:
J

johnny2

Probably not is a good answer.....you dont know until you start asking questions.

He has a lot of good reasons for not taking the course, but he will need to convince the Motor vehicle dept. or a judge,

So get on the phone and ask, (dont give real name) i had a dwi 9 years ago and have not driven since, but they wanted me to take this course, before it was reinstated, but i just dont have the money. And i might need to drive soon because the company i work for might be force us to move to where there is no public transportation.

and see what they say.

N

Narlybob

Two other possibilities here for you. Look into the statute of limitations regarding the conviction since it was over 7 years ago. Not sure how it would apply to the DMV being they are their own entity. Second, state run AND private alcohol programs cannot refuse the service simply due to the fact you/he can not afford it. There is a law which states if you can not afford the classes, the program can't be denied. If you are denied based on the principal of funding, they can be reported and possibly charged by the state. I'll dig it up and post later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">