• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State License Plate: Pay or No?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Susu

i currently live in louisiana, but my car is registered & has pennsylvania plates. i recently got two $275 tickets for being in a handicapped zone, once when I forgot to post my handicapped tag on the rearview mirror, once for being in the zone too long. i work in a law firm and some lawyers have said there's nothing i can do, but others say to just blow it off since i am moving back to pa soon. please let me know some more about this issue.

susu

HomeGuru

Susu said:
i currently live in louisiana, but my car is registered & has pennsylvania plates. i recently got two $275 tickets for being in a handicapped zone, once when I forgot to post my handicapped tag on the rearview mirror, once for being in the zone too long. i work in a law firm and some lawyers have said there's nothing i can do, but others say to just blow it off since i am moving back to pa soon. please let me know some more about this issue.

susu
**A: you should send the court a written explanation and see what happens.

D

davelu99

Most states have it specifically mentioned in the law that if the handicap placard/sticker/permit is not displayed, the owner of the vehicle is responsible for the ticket as if they did not have a permit at all. Also, since you live in LA, and have PA plates, I would let this one go, since most states also have residency laws (and yes, if you're employed in one state, they consider you a legal resident) which require you to have licence plates from that state, in this case LA. I would pay the fines, and get some LA plates, and those fines are much larger than handicap parking fines (and they are also usually misdemeanors).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">