• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead Dad, No Will, No Ins, Lots of Bills!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kinetic1

YOUR STATE NAME - IL

My boyfriend's father (resident of IL) died with no will and no insurance. He left behind his elderly parents and two sons. My boyfriend called to settle affairs with one of the credit card companies. They said HE was responsible for the debt, but if he sent them $250 they would write the remainder off. Is this legal? My boyfriend never had an joint account with his dad, nor was he ever an authorized user.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Kinetic1 said:
YOUR STATE NAME - IL

My boyfriend's father (resident of IL) died with no will and no insurance. He left behind his elderly parents and two sons. My boyfriend called to settle affairs with one of the credit card companies. They said HE was responsible for the debt, but if he sent them $250 they would write the remainder off. Is this legal? My boyfriend never had an joint account with his dad, nor was he ever an authorized user.
My response:

DO NOT pay the CC companies. Your boyfriend is NOT legally or morally responsible for ANY of his father's debts. They are just trying to get him to pay, and will say anything to get their money.

Tell the CC company to stick it where the sun don't shine.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">