• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need witnesses if my will is prepared by a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skang

YOUR STATE NAME - California

Do I still need two or three witnesses to sign the document if my will is prepared by a lawyer?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

skang said:
YOUR STATE NAME - California

Do I still need two or three witnesses to sign the document if my will is prepared by a lawyer?
My response:

Unless your will is completely written in your own handwriting, and signed and dated in your own handwriting, then a typewritten will needs two subscribing witnesses for a will to be valid (Ca Probate § 6110), unless one of the witnesses is also named in the will as an interested person, and then you'll need at least one other witness; i.e., unless the will is subscribed by at least two other disinterested witnesses, there is a rebuttable presumption affecting the burden of proof that the "interested witness" procured his or her devise by duress, menace, fraud or undue influence . . . except that this presumption does not apply to witnesses given a devise "solely in a fiduciary capacity" (e.g., as trustee). [Ca Probate § 6112(c)]

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">