• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lgassaway

YOUR STATE NAME - IL

My father is deceased he had no insurance, or will; however he had a business which consisted of assets that were liquidated by my brother (not sure if he is my father's biological son), anyway there is a house with my dads name on the deed. Is there a way that I can change the deed to reflect my name and the other siblings legally. I feel that my brother forfeited his share of the house when he sold my dad's assets from the business. Please help!

dmode101

To transfer title to the house, you will probably need to open a probate estate. In determining distribution, whether your brother is your father's biological son will be a key question that would need to be resolved. The business assets that were liquidated also properly belong to the estate and your brother should account for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dandy Don

When were the assets liquidated (BEFORE OR AFTER THE DEATH)?

How much was this business worth--did he get all the proceeds or did he share with the other heirs?

Did Dad give the brother permission or power of attorney to do this sale?

Is the house paid for or is there still a mortgage on it?

Your FEELINGS about the matter don't really count--it is the law that matters and he still qualifies as a legal heir. If you question his status as a biological member of the family, get a DNA test done, but you look foolish and greedy in doing it now to try to disinherit him.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">