• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

S.S. Disability Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dawmic

YOUR STATE NAME - Florida
My mother has been diagnosed with alzheimers. She is 58 and has not worked in the past 5 years. She is in desperate need of SSI. I was told she is not eligible for disability since she has not worked in the past 5 years yet she would be eligible for ssi if her assets are $2000 or less. I have tried to talk to some local attorneys for advice and they will not talk to me unless s.s. declined her. What I need to know is this: she is on title to my primary residence (not hers) - does she need to quitclaim?
She has approximately $9000 left in a joint money market account with me. Can I transfer a portion of that into my personal account and call it a gift so that I can apply for ssi for her? She needs to move to an assisted living facility and she will have no money of her own very shortly (it takes 6 months to get an answer from s.s.?) She also needs to get medicare/medicaid to cover her living/medical expences. Please help or put me in contact with someone who can. Thank You

L

loku

There are very strict laws, with criminal penalties, designed to prevent people from giving their property away at the last moment, or even within a few years of the time that they enter a nursing home, if the result is that the Government will be expected to pay the costs of nursing home or other care, rather than the person himself from his or her assets. However, every situation is different. An attorney with a specialty in elder care may know of something that could help in your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">