• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home sale? No will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommy569

What is the name of your state? New York, Suffolk County

OK this is sort of a long story. I am asking for my ex because it was his parents.

Mom dies, 6 weeks later Dad dies. There is no will, very little insurance, just a house. (not much of a house at that) What insurance money was all split 3 way between the three siblings. The oldest sibling lived in the house and paid the mortgage etc for at least 8 yrs after the parents death. Just found out that the house supposedly was sold in January 2002 for $85,000. 2 siblings live in NY my ex is in WA. He has no knowledge of the sale. Could it have been done legally without his signature?

L

loku

The legality of the sale depends on the wording of the deed to the house. From what you say, the three siblings were each entitled to 1/3 of the house at the death of the last parent. To find out how it happened that your husband’s signature was not needed on the sale, you would have to tract back to what happened to the deed at the death of that parent or thereafter. If the person will not show you the deed, you can see it at the recorder’s office for the county the property is in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">