• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister steals inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OC+

What is the name of your state? WA

Sister steals inheritance

My mother died last week. My 91-year old father is still alive. I have two sisters. One of my sisters just stole all of my mom's valuable jewelry, big stamp collection, valuable heirloom china, antiques, and more from the estate -- which was intended by my mother to be equally divided between her three daughters. We have only circumstantial evidence, but quite a lot of it. My father and I both are in Washington state, and both my sisters live in California. At 91 my father still takes care of himself, but may not be clear on all details or remember everything. We haven't yet told him what we are seeing. The big property settlement is still to come, when my father passes away. Is there anything my good sister and I can do besides lay down and take this abuse from our bad sister?

D

DobermanLady

Not a lawyer here but...
If Dad is still alive, doesn't Mom's items belong to him as surviving spouse? Does he have a will? Have him bequeath all to you and good sis. Go to her house for a visit and take pics of the items she has stolen. Proof that she is in possession of the items. Will hold credence down the line when you WILL have to sue her for your monetary damages.
just a thought tho.....

D

darla fryar

The same thing happened in our family only it was a granddaughter who took over $76,000 in money. this was my husbands oldest daughter who did this to us. The grandmother lived with the grandd. a total of 2mos. and 2 wks. before her death. in that time she lost a total of 100 lbs. the gd. had never taken an interest in her before, leaving her care to myself and other granddaughters in the family. we are sure she knew about the money before taking her to live with her. there is a will and my husb. is the sole heir, only child and exec. of the will. still he refuses to confront the girl who is his oldest daughter. it has left us holding the bag for thousands in medical bills still owed. the grandmother kept telling my husband they were killing her but nothing was done. Hospice tried to have her removed from the home and the gd. told them my husb. refused and that was that, within a week she was dead. I have tried for over a year to have something done but it's like dragging a broken leg thru life, dealing with my husband. [email protected]

O

OC+

Hi Dobermanlady,

Yes, Dad's still alive, and yes he should own all the stuff. I'm not sure he understood what was going on at all, but I think he maybe has an inkling. I finally sat down yesterday and wrote a lengthy letter to my cousin, who is Dad's attorney. He sees Dad once a week. I asked him to share the facts with Dad and let us know what happens. He said he'll do it in a few days. I have no idea what will happen, but I'd think she'll be cut out of the will now. Then she'll no doubt contest it. I'm wondering if the mess will go on for years. No fun! Neither of us live near her and I'm sure she wouldn't let us see any of the items. She said to my little sister "Well, this might be the last time we ever see each other." She didn't understand that when she heard it, but we're both understanding it now!

O

OC+

Oh, Darla, what a dreadful story! It pained me to read it. I hope your husband will see that justice is done. Family *should* mean something, but I guess some folks just don't get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">