• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate money stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

darla fryar

What is the name of your state? my stepdaughter took $76,000 from her grandmother while she stayed with her, a total of 2mos. and 2wks. before her death. the grandmother owes thousands in medical bills and estate taxes the money was suppose to have covered. my husband who was her only child, heir and and executor of her will has done nothing in trying to recover the money or property the money was spent for, cars, truck, motor cycles, etc. she has rubbed it in our face and there are 2 other grandd. who are mad because something wasn't done to this sister. I have run into a dead end everytime I try to do something and he acts like he doesn't want to hurt this daughter although she doesn't care what she has left on him and me. he is disabled and doesn't have the money to pay the bills left on him. I refuse since I took care of the grandmother for over 27 yrs. till she decided to stay with this granddaughter a while. she called saying they were killing her and wanted to come home but the granddaughter convinced everybody she was losing her mind. she lost a total of 100lbs. in this short time and when she started telling things that was taking place she was given med. to keep her sedated. when we were close to learning about the money and her taking it, she called one night and had found the grandmother dead. no one was there except the granddaugher when she died. I have tried to get someone to help me and as I said my husband doesn't seem interested in getting to the bottom of the probl. he would rather I work and pay the bills and let it go.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

darla fryar said:
What is the name of your state? my stepdaughter took $76,000 from her grandmother while she stayed with her, a total of 2mos. and 2wks. before her death. the grandmother owes thousands in medical bills and estate taxes the money was suppose to have covered. my husband who was her only child, heir and and executor of her will has done nothing in trying to recover the money or property the money was spent for, cars, truck, motor cycles, etc. she has rubbed it in our face and there are 2 other grandd. who are mad because something wasn't done to this sister. I have run into a dead end everytime I try to do something and he acts like he doesn't want to hurt this daughter although she doesn't care what she has left on him and me. he is disabled and doesn't have the money to pay the bills left on him. I refuse since I took care of the grandmother for over 27 yrs. till she decided to stay with this granddaughter a while. she called saying they were killing her and wanted to come home but the granddaughter convinced everybody she was losing her mind. she lost a total of 100lbs. in this short time and when she started telling things that was taking place she was given med. to keep her sedated. when we were close to learning about the money and her taking it, she called one night and had found the grandmother dead. no one was there except the granddaugher when she died. I have tried to get someone to help me and as I said my husband doesn't seem interested in getting to the bottom of the probl. he would rather I work and pay the bills and let it go.
My response:

You never said where the $76,000 was located; e.g., under a mattress, in the bank, in stocks and bonds, etc.

Why are you, or your husband, paying her final bills? Were you ordered by a court to do so?

Was a Probate Petition filed?

IAAL

Dandy Don

(1) Was this stepdaughter helping to take care of the grandmother?

(2) Did the stepdaughter have a power of attorney form (signed by the grandmother) giving her permission to handle financial affairs? If she didn't, then the stepdaughter has stolen this money and needs to face charges.

You need to go to the police and report the suspicious circumstances of the death so they can get an autopsy performed and they will advise you if there is enough evidence to file criminal charges. Be sure to tell them about the theft of the money so they can check with the bank to see if the withdrawals were legally authorized or not.

(3) If your husband won't file to be executor of the estate, then you do it (or hire an attorney to do it). Someone needs to be responsible in clearing up the final affairs and claiming whatever, if any assets, might be left and paying debts. Even if the estate is bankrupt, someone still needs to be in charge of handling whatever miscellaneous affairs might be left, even if it's only notifying creditors that they will not be getting paid.

This is too important a matter to do nothing. At least consult with a probate attorney to find out what kind of strategy you can pursue to get things taken care of.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">