• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSA Disability-They lost my 30yr old file!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Karen1952

:confused: New Jersey-I recently received from SSA a form (Disabilty Form-Adult-form SSA-3368-BK) which contained a hand written notation on the margin-"Please complete this form with symptoms and medical treatment info from 1971-72. We are unable to find your original claim folder." Most, if not all of my treating doctors for that period of time are now dead. Who knows where their records are?! I was awarded SSA Disability benefits 30 yrs ago based on medical release forms which were signed by my parents as I was in my early 20's at the time and have never worked. I was examined by an SSA doctor at the time, who found me totally disabled and entitled to benefits. I also received an SSA form (omb No. 0960-0072 Report of Continuing Disability Interview). My Question is: Am I responsible for the information they lost? Will my benefits stop if I can not locate the info they misplaced? Is this like starting all over again?

Dandy Don

You have posted your question to the wrong message board. Please post it on the FAMILY LAW message board or, better yet, on the WORKMEN'S COMPENSATION BOARD where it is more likely that an attorney experienced in this area would see it.

Your best best is to consult with a local attorney who specializes in Social Security/Disability law (one can easily be found by looking in your yellow pages directory, and the attorney's ad will usually mention the Social Security/Disability specialization). First consultation is normally free.

As an alternative, ask your physician how you can order your medical records from a local company, which might have the information from the years that you need.

DANDY DON

K

Karen1952

Thanks Dandy Don

I am new to this, I will post this problem in the other catagories you suggested. Thanks for the info on record storage companies. I will give that a try. Mary

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">