• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Items Listed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ann R.

What is the name of your state? Texas

If items left to beneficiaries are missing from the estate, what to do.....we sold my husbands late fathers home and contents 5 years ago after his death.
My husband passed away 2 weeks ago, and 2 items mentioned in his will to be distributed were sold at that time.
How should this be handled.
Ann

JETX

If the items were sold or distributed during the decedents life, then they are not a part of the estate. I assume that this situation is that certain specific items were bequeathed to certain people and that the item is no longer in the estate. If correct, then the executor/trix simply needs to tell that person that the item is not a part of the estate and what happened to it.

A

Ann R.

These items are specifically listed in the will, and were sold, either by mistake, or just not remembering the specific items were listed in the will.
During ones lifetime there are so many things to remember....we sold our home in 93 and distributed items of interest to the family members who wanted them. These 2 items slipped through the cracks during the second sale. We had another estate sale and these items were left with the estate listing. I did not realize this until I read the list.
Ann

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">