• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crazy executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jadesilver

I live in Nebraska, but the property of the deceased is in California, and the Probate Petition was filed in California.
My grandmother died, leaving all property (etc.) to my father. There is not much chance that there will be any contest to the Will (he is the last surviving family member). The executor, who is not working with the help of a probate attorney, insists that my father cannot even stay overnight in my grandmother's house while in town to attend to legal matters. My parents want to start light renovation on the property as it is worth quite a bit of money, but is in severe disrepair (to the point that it is almost dangerous). Can they, legally, make any repairs to the house? Also, before the house is sold, I want to stay there to refresh memories of "grandma's house", etc. Can I stay in the house without breaking any laws?!

Dandy Don

You must be willing to wait a bit until the official ownership of the home is passed, through getting the title changed, to the new owner through the probate process, and that could take a few months.

This executor is being a bit mean, since they should have no objection to the eventual owner wanting to make needed repairs, but it is best not to do anything that would possibly offend the executor because that person could make it a little bit difficult, if they wanted to, for the heir to get official access and possession of everything they are entitled to from the estate by using delaying tactics.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">