• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damaged goods

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blackphoenix

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

I purchased a 1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL from a dealership in Houston. The purchase date was November 1999 and the car was supposedly new. All maintenance work has been done at the dealership at which I purchased the car and I have keep it in immaculate condition - it only has 11000 miles on it now.

I recently went to have the car appraised to possibly sell it. I was SHOCKED when the appraiser told me that the car had been repainted in several places - the right quarter panel, spoiler and hood and this brought the value of the car down. I brought the car into 2 other body shops and they told me the exact same thing.

I went back to the dealership and asked them why the car had been repainted and why that wasn't disclosed when I bought it. The manager of the dealership brought his serviceman to look at the car and he too could see where it had been repainted. He even added that the paint job 'had to have been done at a dealership' because of the quality of the work.

The manager said he researched the records on the car and could not find any mention of the car being repainted except for the "$39" touch-up that is done on all cars. I asked him what the difference in the selling price would have been had this info been disclosed at the time of purchase - he never gave me an answer.

To add insult to injury, another manager said he would buy the car at book value so he 'could sell it and make a lot of money'.

I paid good money for a car that I thought was undamaged and I feel I was defrauded. Do I have any recourse?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">