• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want my name off of will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DD723

I'm in Florida.

My father and I have never been close to our family. A couple of weeks ago, my Grandmother went to an attorney to draw up a new will- she took one cousin off, due to problems, even though this cousin is also on my Grandmother's deed and will remain on the deed. My Grandmother wishes to have the remainder divided between another cousin and I, and she also lists my father as Representative of Estate. The thing is, neither my father nor I wish to be on the will at all. We don't want a thing, nor do we want the hassel my dad's sister is already causing over this. My Grandmother just got out of the hospital, and my dad's sister is practically holding my Grandmother "hostage", to keep her from seeing us. If I can't locate my Grandmother to get her to take our names off, how can we do this? My Grandmother's health is failing fast and we desperately want to take care of this before it's too late!

DD

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DD723 said:
I'm in Florida.

My father and I have never been close to our family. A couple of weeks ago, my Grandmother went to an attorney to draw up a new will- she took one cousin off, due to problems, even though this cousin is also on my Grandmother's deed and will remain on the deed. My Grandmother wishes to have the remainder divided between another cousin and I, and she also lists my father as Representative of Estate. The thing is, neither my father nor I wish to be on the will at all. We don't want a thing, nor do we want the hassel my dad's sister is already causing over this. My Grandmother just got out of the hospital, and my dad's sister is practically holding my Grandmother "hostage", to keep her from seeing us. If I can't locate my Grandmother to get her to take our names off, how can we do this? My Grandmother's health is failing fast and we desperately want to take care of this before it's too late!

DD
My response:

You can't stop someone from naming you in their Will.

You can always write to Grandma about the situation or, when that "day" finally comes, all you have to do is say to the Executor, "No, I don't want her $240,000.00 that's in the bank. Here's my affidavit of "Non-Acceptance" and you are free to give that money to whomever you choose, or as the court directs."

Remember, bequests in a Will are gifts. There is no law that can force you to accept a "gift" if you don't want it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">