• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Act Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

braveheart

State: Virginia

Recently, I have discovered that my email messages are being read by my employer. I tried to find out the corporate policy on email and stuffs but none was found. Is this a Privacy Act violation?

Braveheart:confused:

J

justathought

I don't know the specifics of the Privacy Act, but usually if the company is supplying your email service, they reserve the right to monitor it. They don't see it as joesmith @ thecompany.com, they see it as yourpositionduties @ theircompany.com. I believe they see it as once it gets onto *their* server, it becomes *their* property, just as when they open mail addressed to you at work because it's presumed to be work-related.

Easily resolved by having separate personal and work accounts. You can get free ones from Yahoo!, Hotmail, etc.

crager34

If you are using a company email address for personal corispondance, it is considered misuse of company property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">