• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can POD savings bonds be split with a spouse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marron-cream

What is the name of your state? CA

I hope someone can help me with this. My father died two months ago. He left me approximately $175,000 in US Savings Bonds. A lawyer has told my mother that half of any POD account/bond goes to her, so theoretically she is entitled to half of the $175,000. Is this true?

If so, can I hold her off by not changing anything? Sorry, that sounds weird. The savings bonds FAQ states that as long as I'm listed as the POD it's not necessary to change anything on the bonds. So if I left them the way they are, with my dad as the primary and me as the POD, would my mom be able to force me to cash them out so she gets her half?

I hope that makes some kind of sense and I appreciate any advice offered. Thank you!

Dandy Don

Were you a minor or an adult in the year that these bonds were purchased?

Are you a minor or an adult now?

What is the value of your father's entire estate?

I believe this attorney was mistaken. If your name is listed as POD after your father's name (his name as owner), then ownership passes directly to you and does not need to go through probate. Isn't that great news for you!

DANDY DON

Dandy Don

The only way that half of the $175,000 would pass to the estate/the mother would be if the words "without right of survivorship" appear on the bonds after the name of the owner and co-owner/beneficiary. Otherwise, the money is ALL YOURS.

If my previously posted advice has been beneficial/helpful to you, it sure would be nice to receive a thank-you notice posted here.

DANDY DON

M

marron-cream

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! Dandy Don! :)

The bonds were purchased when I was 9 years old. I'm now 25. As far as I can remember, the bonds didn't say anything to that effect. I'm so happy to find this out!

You are now my hero :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">