• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Codicile to Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cierralee

Florida.

I went to an attorney and had a will made over a year ago. Recently, my oldest granddaughter has began causing a lot of problems and another granddaughter has since had a baby. I'd like to remove my problem granddaughter and add my new great-granddaughter to my will. Since my attorney charges a fortune, can I print out a Codicile to Will form and fill it out myself, have it witnessed and notorized and would it still be just as valid if I did this myself?

Dandy Don

If you can afford to have an estate, you should be able to afford attorney fee. The do-it-yourself codicil is very unwise because if everything is not done in accordance with 100% legal standards, it can be opposed as improper (by whichever beneficiary stood to lose) and it might end up not being accepted in court.

Get an estimate from your attorney before you have it done. You should be able to negotiate him down by saying it's only a minor change in wording and would only require a simple retyping of the document (or just making a revision) on a word processor.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">