• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you need an attorney for DUI charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AutumnAngel

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My boyfriend was arrested last weekend for drunk driving. (first offense) The officer caught him going 20mph over speed limit. The cop gave him FSTs and felt that he was a little questionable on the tests. The cop had the car impounded and drove him to police station to take breathalyzer and he blew .07 -- legal limit in Oregon is .08. Since I had to go pick up my bf I decided to talk with the officer and get his side. He said he was dropping all charges except the dui because he felt that he was too intoxicated to drive. He then told me whether he gets convicted depends on if the city attorney feels the jury would enter a guilty plea for my bf. My boyfriend is so convinced that he won't be convicted that he hasn't even thought about getting an attorney. Is it really that easy? Does he have anything to worry about during his court appearace? I thought Oregon cracked down on DUIs. Maybe I'm wrong. He is 30 years old and does not have a criminal record of any kind. Just a few speeding tickets here and there.

Thanks for your opinions.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AutumnAngel said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

Is it really that easy?

MY RESPONSE: It is exceedingly easy. Oregon is one of the most liberal States when it comes to DUI - - especially for anything less than a .08.

Does he have anything to worry about during his court
appearace?

MY RESPONSE: No. His case will be dismissed, or at the very worst, the charges will be "plea bargained" down to the equivalent of a jaywalking ticket.

I thought Oregon cracked down on DUIs. Maybe I'm wrong.

MY RESPONSE: You are very wrong. Oregon, like I said, is extremely liberal in the way it handles DUI arrests. Oregon understands the need to drink and drive, and for the most part, is very "understanding" in these situations.

He is 30 years old and does not have a criminal record of any kind. Just a few speeding tickets here and there.

MY RESPONSE: And he won't have any "criminal record" after this, either. He'll be just fine. The only reason why the officer "had" to arrest him was because the law is on the books - - but, there's a world of difference between "arrest" and actual conviction of such a "crime."

Thanks for your opinions.

MY RESPONSE: You're welcome. Go ahead and make your plans for a nice evening dinner after his court appearance. By all means, celebrate - - and toss back a few for me, too !

IAAL

. . . and if you believe any of the above, I've got some beachfront property in Idaho I'd like to sell you.

Last edited:
M

madddaddy

I thought Oregon cracked down on DUIs. Maybe I'm wrong.

MY RESPONSE: You are very wrong. Oregon, like I said, is extremely liberal in the way it handles DUI arrests. Oregon understands the need to drink and drive, and for the most part, is very "understanding" in these situations.
============================

What this ALSO means is... if you or your boyfriend gets Killed by a drunk driver , dont expect the drunk driver to serve any jail time either.

Yes very liberal.

A

AutumnAngel

Sorry IAAL, but I can't tell from your response if you are serious or not. I am assuming you are joking. I read your post a couple days ago and figured you were being sarcastic and then today I finally read about your beachfront property in Idaho. :)

The reason I ask this question is because I'm hoping he gets busted for what he did.

M

madddaddy

this gets interesting..why do you want him busted?

So he loses his license, and you will have to drive him and mommy him?

Then he is dependant on you, so you can force him to marry you.

is that what this is about?

A

AutumnAngel

LMAO maddaddy you have been watching toooo many soap operas!

No, I don't want him dependent on me I just want to prove to him that he can't keep getting away with this. He has driven drunk many, many times and I have told him that one day he would get caught--if he doesn't get caught he will get in my face and say "told ya so!!"

Besides if he lost his license, he would just get a work permit to drive--he wouldn't need me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">