• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

impounded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kampkaoss

What is the name of your state? Washington.
My husband leant our truck to our adult son. My husband made it very clear that he was to have insurance on the truck and drive it with care.
We recieved a letter a few weeks later from a local towing company informing us that the truck had been impounded a week earlier. I discovered that our son was in an accident as a result of his road rage in a school zone. and the truck was impounded as a result of his driving on a suspended licensce.
By the time we were able to get the truck The fees were 600$
we had an offer of 1500 on the truck that fell through as a result of it having been imounded.we lost nearly 1,000 in sales on the truck + we were stuck with the fees. As well as damage done in the wreck
we never told our son that we got the truck out and he made no arrangements to avoid it's being auctioned.

what can we legaly go after in damages,can we ask for punitive damages since his attitude was basically it's our problem now.

JETX

You can only claim your actual damages, and not the loss of the sale. Damages can include: storage and towing fees and cost of repairs to return the vehicle back to its 'as borrowed' condition.

But, you will have to sue your son for these damages.... and with his history, it sounds like the judgment would be very hard to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">