• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State DWI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Littlelady31

What is the name of your state? New Jersey. Help To All who can give me some advice here:

Well i am a NJ resident and I was in the state of New York at a friends birthday party. Well at 12 am i left the party and was headed home. I was ok to drive i knew what i was doing and had no problem. Well while i was driving i got lost I was not fimiliar with the area so i was trying to find my way back to NJ and I went onto a ramp that I thought was going back to Jersey and it was going more in NY so i panicked and was crying and upset cause i was lost and in a unfimiliar place. So while still heading up the ramp i had a tire blow out and lost control of my truck which hit a median and knocked down a sign. So was stranded since my tire blew out. So it was 1 am in the morning and it was cold so i still had the truck running and was on my cell with my folks so they could give me there AAA card so i could get towed. Well about 30 minutes later the police drove up and came to me asking if i was ok and what had happened. i explained to them i was lost and not fimiliar with this area. They asked what I was doing up in this area I explained to them i was at a birthday , they next said that smelled alcohol, so they told me that they wanted me to perform sobriety tests which i told them since i am disabled i cannot do physical things that affects my balance, but they told me to do them anyway. So they told me to say the Alphabet backwards as well as touch finger to nose and then walk a straight line . Well the alaphabet i did ,but the other 2 required physical movments which i cannot do but i did the best i could and I did not fall but i walk with a limp and sway so after i did the tests they said i failed so i am being arrested for a DWI. Well they handcuffed me and put me in the police car while they went through my truck for my license , registration and insurance which is all valid. Then about 30 minutes later they drove me to the station and started doing paperwork and asking questions I told them I was not drunk I was lost as well as had a tire blow out and that I was at a birthday party and it was a childs one. So they laughed at me and said that I must have been partying and acting stupid so they told me that I was drunk. Which i was not so then they told me to blow in the machine at the station i agreed to what they asked me to do with everything.So i went to the machine and they instructed me to blow and i did they laughed and screamed at me to blow harder and that not to be a weak person and blow harder and laughed and treated me as if I were a convict. They held my head and neck which I i have physical problems with them to as well. I only had a test once and the reading was .12 which in NY .10 is the limit. So then they put me in a cell til morning and then they booked me and fingerprinted me the next day where i had to post 1000.00 for bail once my family came up and did i was out the next day.

Well I had to hire a public defender I am a single mom and that I have a job but dont make much plus i have a handicapped daughter as well too. They issued me 5 tickets 2 for a DWI, 1 for speeding which they did not see me drive, a driving on a suspended in NY when i never even had a NY drivers license , failure to make a right when I could not, cause my Jeep was down due to the tire blow out. The incident occured on March 26th and i went for my first apperance and plead not guilty, now i need advice here.
I cannot lose my license since i am a single mom and i am the only one that brings money home for me and my daughter tp live. I told the defender to help me plea it down to wreckless as well as i will pay restitution and fines but so far he has not helped me at all.
I need advice on how i can fight this to a lesser charge as well as what could my defenses be and that if they did not give me a plea I would like to have a jury trial cause i need to fight this. I am also on meds for depression and I am not sure if this would affect the breathilizer? I spoke to a few lawyers in NY and they said go get a NY license since they have conditional ones cause in NJ they dont. But I did not do that I want to fight this to a lesser charge so please someone help me anyone i need advice bad.
Please respond back to my email at [email protected] with any advice i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

C

cookpd_2000

Good News...................

You'll have no problem getting this case lowered even to one ticket.

Bad News.....................

The ticket will be a DUI - and all the wonderfull benefits that go with it.

F

finally legal

question you said you were charged with two dui how does that happen,

C

CombatTN88

Little Lady,
Why were you drinking alcohol at the party then drive a vehicle back? You have a daughter to think about. You should be with your daughter, not drinking alcohol.

I was EX drinker before... but when I got two beautiful children, I retired from drinking. Why? I don't want to endanger anything that can end me up in the jail. I am thinking about my kids more than gd alcohol.

If you went to the party, you should had least got a taxi cab or ride with a designed driver. If you had no way to do that, then at least, don't go to stupid growup party.

For DUI, you will LOSE your license on your first offense and 48 hours in the jail. I am so excited for you to lose your license. Do you know why? Because I don't want you to kill my family next time you are drinking and driving... So, I don't take a mercy on drunk drivers.

Single mom, wow... no wonder why your ex left you because of your gd alcoholic problems...

Regards, Combat

L

lckwod

I agree that if a person drinks even one drink they should either have a sober driver or stay the night, but, you have no right calling this person you don't even know a gd alcoholic. It is not right. Just because you had a problem does not mean every person in this world who might have one drink is an alcoholic. And for saying her husband left her because she had a problem was not right either. Maybe she was never married or maybe her husband had passed away. Don't judge until you have all the facts!!!! Like i said I do aree that no one should drink and drive under any circumstance, but that is the only thing I agree with you about She is asking for legal advice not lectures

Y

yoyoma

ALSO LITTLE LADY

KEEP YOUR LEGS CROSSED!!!!!

You dont want to be dumb enough to get pregnant by another man who wont pay his billzzzz!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">