• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

public defender?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nochoice

Georgia. Tomorrow I go to trial on a DUI I pleaded not guilty to. My lawyer jsut informed me that he will not defend me unless I pay $2500 up front, which I cannot do. I want to ask the judge for an extension of time in order to try and qualify for a public defender... will I be able to do this? What do I need to know? My current lawyer says I have a good chance of winning. There are no breath tests or anything, no police report was ever filed, I already got my license back... what should I do? The prosecution has offered a $700 fine, 40hrs of community service, and to drop all other charges except for the DUI... it's not too bad, but I'm not guilty and would like to defend myself, but I don't have a dime. Advice please!!!

C

CombatTN88

nochoice said:
Georgia. Tomorrow I go to trial on a DUI I pleaded not guilty to. My lawyer jsut informed me that he will not defend me unless I pay $2500 up front, which I cannot do. I want to ask the judge for an extension of time in order to try and qualify for a public defender... will I be able to do this? What do I need to know? My current lawyer says I have a good chance of winning. There are no breath tests or anything, no police report was ever filed, I already got my license back... what should I do? The prosecution has offered a $700 fine, 40hrs of community service, and to drop all other charges except for the DUI... it's not too bad, but I'm not guilty and would like to defend myself, but I don't have a dime. Advice please!!!
Get a PUBLIC DEFENDER. The DA might offer a sweet deal, but the question is what if you have 2nd conviction, or break probation, or what... that is the question u need to think about.

Regards, Combat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">