• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I out-of-line?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

acheeze

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My mother passed away last year and named me as the executor of her will. At the time of her passing, she had but one outstanding debt, a home equity loan (HEL) which was obtained for renovations performed to our home several years ago. The alterations to our home were accomplished to provide for more space for my sister and family who resided upstairs from my mom and I. Since that time, however, my sister and her family purchased a home of their own and have subsequently moved out. Following their vacating the space, I decided to move upstairs from my mom in anticipation of marrage and beginning a family of my own. I provided my mom with monthly "rent" payments which she subsequently used to continually pay on the HEL. Following her death, however I paid off the remainder of the loan from the estate in accordance with her last will and testament ("I direct that all my just debts, funeral expenses and all estate and inheritance taxes, State and Federal, payable upon my estate be paid and satisfied as soon after my decease as conveniently can be done."). My sister has objected to this, siting that she is not responsible for 50% of the remaining debt. She has now, in an effort to compensate herself from her half of the loan payment, withheld payment of 50% of Federal income taxes, which I have faithfully paid from my own packet. Am I incorrect in assuming that share and share alike includes debt? Should I play dirty pool too and withhold the same amount of monies from upcoming estate collections?

Please advise.

Seanscott

Just my opinion - If the house was part of the estate, and you & your sister split everything evenly, then the bills should be split evenly also. This would be the correct thing to do if you intended to sell the house to someone outside your family.

"Share & share alike" does include the debt.

Am I correct in assuming that you are taking ownership of the house?

I think the proper thing to do (as I did with my sisters when I took ownership of Mom's house) is have the house appraised, and pay your sister one-half of the value AFTER all the bills are paid. You can take the value of the house from your share of the estate and your sister will get your same amount from any cash, automobiles, etc. If there is not enough money left in the estate, then you should take out a loan and pay your sister her half.

If you think you should get the house free & clear and she gets 1/2 the bills from the house, I think you're wrong.

You & your sister need to sit down and figure this out. Did your mom have a lawyer draw up her will?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">