• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mowens3229

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? kentucky
i was named as beneficiary on my husbands 401k. he had recently retired from chrysler corporation and his 401k is with merrill lynch.
He passed away on february 21, 2001 and thanks to the slow work at chrysler i did not gain control of this account until late april of 2002. as you know the stock market has since then gone to pot and the money my husband worked so hard for has decreased by over half. I wanted to put all this cash into ready assets at that time of his death to ensure its value, but was denied access to this account until recently and it has me steaming. I even had to have it probated at the original amount even though a year later it is not worth as much.
my question is why was this account not frozen at the time of his death? why did i have to wait so long to gain access to this money that i now can do nothing with but wait and hope things turn around with the economy. i am really scared i will have nothing left if i let it go and wish someone had done something a year and a half ago to ensure this account held its value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">