• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

large company ruining my credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kap1271

What is the name of your state? New York, company in California. A few years ago I signed a contract with a nationwide gym that I would use their services until my membership had been paid in full or I moved outside a 20 mi. radius of one of their gyms. I did move, and called to close my account. However, without my knowledge, they never closed the account and continued taking money out of my old checking account until I was overdrawn. I did not know this until I happened to order a copy of my credit report and I saw 2 delinquncies one from the bank and one from the gym. I have tried many times by phone to close the account, I get a variety of different answers and never am allowed to speak with a manager. I have had a consumer dept. at the mayors office ty to get the charge dismissed, but the company will not comply. I have a huge, incorrect, red mark on my credit report, and cannot even open a checking account at a local bank! At this point I'm almost willing to pay them the $300 in question, but the most important issue is that I remove this item from my credit report. Is this a small claims issue, or do I need an attorney??

Ladynred

Have you tried contacting the NYS Attorney General's office with this ? Albany would have more clout than the locals, and I'd contact the BBB too.

This sounds messy, but you really should have made your request to close the account in writing. People's memory for verbal agreements tends to be very selective.

M

MSWCCC

You're stuck. Sorry. You did not get a confirmation in writing, nor do you have proof of when you requested the account to be closed. You'd have to prove it, and you can't. And you know there's no way in hell you'll get them to pay you. Sorry. You'll have to pay $300 to be taken off the Chexsystem.

Ladynred

It may be more expedient to pay the bank the $300, but this gym is clearly up to no good. I'd still call the State AG's office and file a complaint with the BBB ! There seems to be a few other people posting to these forums with pretty much the same problem with this gym, so it sounds like a shady practice to me !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">