• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trusts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

agentsmith

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have an individual trust question. My friend's father set up a trust for him, and he shortly thereafter passed away. My friend has been wondering who will receive his trust fund money if he were to die as well. My friend's wife or his mother?

Dandy Don

It could be either the wife or the mother, or both.

If he hasn't already looked at the original trust documents (looks something like a contract--could be anywhere from 10-30 pages), then he needs to ask his trustee to provide him with a copy of it (he does have the legal right to ask for it, as well as an accounting for each year the trust has been in existence).

The language of the trust gives specific instructions, according to how the father decided, of how the money is going to be distributed if the beneficiary (the son) dies. If son wants to make additional changes, he can't change the trust, but he can make his own will or form another trust.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">