• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lindapebo

What is the name of your state? California

My step-dad recently passed away. My step-niece is to receive 2/3 of his estate and I am to receive 1/3. My mom passed away 3 years ago. The problem is, my aunt, my mom's sister. She wants to contest the will saying my niece and I should have each gotten half as I should have gotten my mom's half. I just want to get this over with and get on with my life and I do not want her to do this. There is a condition in the will that says if my niece or I contest the will, directly or indirectly, we are out. How do I protect myself from her mentioning my name if she does this? We have a financial adviser who is our executor. Can he help me with this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Linda:eek:

Dandy Don

You don't need to do anything to protect yourself.

The aunt's ignorance of the law is going to make her look very foolish. Her thinking is logical, but what she doesn't know is that the inheritance law is not written that way and she is incorrect in her thinking. If she contests it she would have to use her own name and would not be allowed to use your name. She should check with attorneys to see if she has legal ground to stand on before she decides to contest anything.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">