• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

distribution of assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jsherman

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My uncle passed away on 4/20/02. There was no property to disribute, however, he did leave some monies to various family members.

My brother is the executor of the will. The will was recorded and made public record on May 6, 2002. I received a letter asking if I wanted to receive a copy of the will. The letter did not mention when the funds would be distributed.

How long does it take for monies to be distributed as instructed by my uncle's will.

Dandy Don

If you want to receive a copy of the will, it is better to go ahead and say yes to the request, since it will probably be provided for free. If you go to the courthouse to order it, it will cost about $1 per page.

There is no way of estimating how long it will take for the estate to be settled, because it will depend on how many other probate hearings are scheduled in your city's court. Normally, it could take anywhere from 2 to 6 months, but since this appears to be a relatively simple estate, it should only be a short amount of time.

If he had any outstanding debts, a funeral bill, and perhaps some taxes, then those need to be paid for first, and what is left over after the bills are paid is what is going to be distributed to the heirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">