• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refuses to have a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FMC

What is the name of your state? Ohio
For what ever reason My husband refuses to have a will...He was upset with the fact that I even brought it up ,,SINCE we are GETTING up in age thought its a normal thing to talk about since my parents have a will together and his does,,,, and all planned out funerals right down to the letter,,,
well anyway
HE SAYs I have nothing to worry about because Iam his wife
BUT you see Im his second wife,
We both have been married before I have grown children and so does he,,, his are married and have children mine are just out of high school and one in high school.
We have been together for 17 years lived together for 6 years and been married for5 years... he will be retiring soon and we have a age differance between us,,, We own NOTHING jointly encluding checking and savings accounts the house is in his name and all vehicles.....Well I told him if anything happens to him I will loose the house and everything I couldnt even get into the checking to pay bills let alone burie him,,,,He continues to say I have nothing to worry about I will be taken care of Im the beneficiary and no one will through me out of the house everything will be mine and no one else its my property..WELL Im confused! what I have read up on this isant true,,, can you help.....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

FMC said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
For what ever reason My husband refuses to have a will...He was upset with the fact that I even brought it up ,,SINCE we are GETTING up in age thought its a normal thing to talk about since my parents have a will together and his does,,,, and all planned out funerals right down to the letter,,,
well anyway
HE SAYs I have nothing to worry about because Iam his wife
BUT you see Im his second wife,
We both have been married before I have grown children and so does he,,, his are married and have children mine are just out of high school and one in high school.
We have been together for 17 years lived together for 6 years and been married for5 years... he will be retiring soon and we have a age differance between us,,, We own NOTHING jointly encluding checking and savings accounts the house is in his name and all vehicles.....Well I told him if anything happens to him I will loose the house and everything I couldnt even get into the checking to pay bills let alone burie him,,,,He continues to say I have nothing to worry about I will be taken care of Im the beneficiary and no one will through me out of the house everything will be mine and no one else its my property..WELL Im confused! what I have read up on this isant true,,, can you help.....
My response:

He's wrong, and you're right. Ohio is a separate property State, and anything in his name does not automatically go to you by virtue of your marriage. You'll be sharing everything with his entire family unless he makes you a beneficiary in a written Will.

Even if there's a 1% chance of ANY of his children putting up a fight, you'll be in the legal fight of your life.

Only your husband can correct this eventuality - - now.

IAAL

F

FMC

refuses will

He said Im the benificiary of the life insurance plan pluse his works life insurance plan and retirment and so forth he keeps saying I will have enough money to buy this house back if I want it worse came to worse or buy a few houses ect ect if this is so true well good BUT wonder if Im 88 and not able to move or disrupt my life in our home,, he gets so MAD when I dout him
What excally would happen as of now things standing... cuase I keep telling him I wouldnt be able to even pay a bill cause I cant write a check from his account and dosant it all freezes>?
and I do no for a fact his children does not like me very well... even when one come to visit here there are always some strange things that haapen here in the house for instance a 6 inch brocken off thin nail sticking out of the loveseat where I always sit at and just happen not to lay back hard that time and I got stuck in the arm instead of my back....and a pair of panty hose in the car that I always drive and I never buy that kind.... and Husband was cleaning out the car one day and asked WHY are there a pair of pany hose in the glove compartment,,, for what ever reason that was suppose to be,,, and even earring found?
even one day we planned on changing vehicals cause of bad weather but weather cleared and hubby took his own and he got in and he said WHATS WITH THE HEAVY purfume in the truck... just so many stange things happen when this one comes up and stay for a few days,, so I have a bad feeling,,,
so as this stand and he still refuses what would happen?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">