• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wheres the will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fortuneteller

What is the name of your state? NJ

my father-in-law recently passed away. He knew he did nt hv much time left with us. Over the years he repeatedly stated "his will, chnging it, add my daughter. He was very business conscience and prepared well that's why me & my husband are confused. He had umpteen children, (all adults now) But the oldest daughter is taking over everything. Unfortunately my husband does nt know who his lawyer was or how to find him. No one wants to say. Now the daughter want my husband to sign over papers "renouncing his administrive duties giving her power of attrny. He wont sign. He's suspicious
Is there any way for us to find out who his lawyer was to find the will. She has all keys and mail etc..

He told us if something happns to him, look in this box, she found the box 1st, then cl everyone the next day to open it together.....guess what we found...................you guess it nothing..

please help, your words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Dandy Don

Check at the county courthouse probate court to see IF she has filed the will yet. Normally this is supposed to be done within 30 days after the death. Although, from your description, I would guess that this unscrupulous daughter is probably temporarily holding off on filing the will until her devious plans are completed.

Your husband was very smart to be suspicious and not to sign away any rights. It sounds like your husband was named to be executor of the estate and this stupid daughter is needlessly holding up the probating of the estate by being secretive.

Start calling up all probate lawyers in the city where the father-in-law lived and inquire if they have his will on file, or place a small classified ad in the local newspaper (cost will probably be less than $100) that says "Searching for the last will & testament of BOBBY BAKER, age 75, died May 2002. Please contact Andy Baker at 123 Easy St., Nutley, NJ 08895, or call (XXX) xxx-xxxx."

Or, better yet, your husband should go down to the courthouse himself to file paperwork to become executor/administrator of the estate. Eventually, he could ask the probate judge to ask the daughter to produce the will or when she finds out about the filing, she will probably file it herself in an attempt to get him replaced as executor.

Isn't it a shame when greedy relatives act so unfairly?

Turn the tables on her by sending HER a certified letter asking for a copy of the will (he has a right to ask for one since he is a beneficiary), and please also consult with a local probate attorney about what you should do, because it is very unlikely that a New Jersey attorney will see this message on this board.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">