• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friends & Business don't mix do they?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PeggyHill

Maryland

OK, back in December of 2001, I bought a car. Originally, I was to pay $7,000.00 for the car. I got a loan for $6475.00 & gave that to the guy who I was buying it from. This guy was "supposed" to be my friend. Anyhow, I got insurance on the car, tags, & the title transferred into my name. The car was supposed to be in mint condition, & MD state inspected by New Years 2002. Once I got the car, I was to give him the remainder of the $$. ($525) So, I don't get the car until early/mid February... & it's definitely NOT in mint condition. Aside from the two chunks of fiberglass broken off of the doors, & the CD player/radio only working half the time, the AC/heat won't come out of the front vents, my ABS light is always on, my airbag light comes on sometimes, my brake lights have some wiring problem--one minute they work, the next they dont, & my turning signals DO NOT work @ all. (some of this stuff is supposed to work or it won't pass inspection but the guy was pretty much bought off so he'd just pass the sucker.) Also, my clutch just went out, & I have to pay $900 to get a new one.

For all my troubles, I was advised not to worry about the remainder of the money because it took so long & some stuff wasn't perfect, & I had had everything in my name & had been paying on insurance w/o even having the car. I thought that was a decent deal, so I didn't worry about it anymore.

The same guy that I bought the car from, also cheats on his wife occassionally w/ my arch nemesis. She goes & tells him that I am sleeping w/ my boss, which is a total lie... & he tries to tell my boyfriend. My boyfriend gets rather upset, so I call up this "friend" of mine & tell him that he need not be spreading lies about me because I know a lot more truths about him, & that I would call his wife if he continues to try to ruin one of the only things I have going for me over lies. I leave this all in a voicemail.

He calls me back, telling me not to worry about telling his wife because I might just get my teeth bashed in. Then he says "Where's my money?" I hung up on him & since, he's been trying to go through my boyfriend to get the $$ from me. I thought about negotiating w/ him... like taking the car to get a diagnostic done etc etc & giving him the remainder of the difference for whatever work it should have had done. Then I thought a little more about it & decided that he did not even deserve that... he deserved nothing. So why even try?

Now he's telling my boyfriend that he's going to sue me to get the money. I have two voicemails on my cell phone from 2 different people (neither of them were from him, but were from friends of his). One person is the arch nemesis of mine, & the other claims to be a "Brian" but I am pretty sure I recognize the voice to be someone else. Both people are calling me all kinds of vulgar names, telling me I'm getting sued in 2 weeks & that I better have the $$ now & in cash.

Now, I won't deny I initially owed him the $7K, because I don't want to lie in court or to anyone else. But I'm afraid of getting taken to court & not being able to prove he said not to worry about the $525, & having to pay court costs, etc.

There is nothing in writing saying I owe him the $7,000. The loan check is for $6475, & the taxes I had to pay on the vehicle were only for $6475.

Do you think he has a chance of winning? He's got a lot more $$ than I do. (I have none & he's pretty wealthy.) What should I do?!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">