• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contents of Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ann R.

What is the name of your state? TX

If you know the contents of the will and intend to follow the instructions in it, do you have to have it probated. We both had our will done and have copies of the drafts......I do not wish to have it done if not necessary.......

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ann R. said:
What is the name of your state? TX

If you know the contents of the will and intend to follow the instructions in it, do you have to have it probated. We both had our will done and have copies of the drafts......I do not wish to have it done if not necessary.......
My response:

The best way to explain this is by way of example.

Let's assume that your husband has a bank account, a safety deposit box, a car, and a home, all in his name. He has now died, and you want to get into the bank account, the safety deposit box, sell the car, and sell the home. All of a sudden, you run into "brick walls" when the bank tells you "We can't give you access to the account or the box" and you can't sell the car or the house because they're not in your name. What do you do?

This is where probate comes in. Very, very simplistically, and assuming no other complications with the Estate, you will need to obtain Testamentary Letters from the Probate court. These "letters" are Orders, giving you the ownership authority you need to show the bank to get into the account and box, to show the DMV so that you can have the car placed into your name, and to file with the County Recorder to have the Deed to the house put into your name so you can sell the house.

There's much more to this, and you really should have a consultation with a Probate attorney to help guide you BEFORE a death occurs.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

A

Ann R.

I understand completely, and I should have mentioned our accounts and deeds are in both our names.
Does the same attorney who drew up the wills have to be the one you go to for probate purposes.....reason why I asked....will not go into it here.....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ann R. said:
Does the same attorney who drew up the wills have to be the one you go to for probate purposes?
My response:

No. You are free to file a Petition for Probate yourself, or use any attorney of your choice.

IAAL

A

Ann R.

It is so difficult to deal with the death of a loved one, one wishes the legal items could be done with as little trouble as possible.
Thanx to you and your associates who answer the questions for being there so we at least have an idea of what can and cannot be done. Kudos to all...........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">