• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-signer problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mwparkman

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

i cosigned for a loan with a local bank over a year ago. my son lost his job and has difficulity keeping up with his payments. he found another job and the vehicle that he purchased has developed major mechanical problems. Over the past year it has been in the shop three times for drive train problems. I just learned that he signed for the vehicle which had "salvage title" on it in four places. The dealer gave him a "oh by the way" explaination and that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. when i cosigned the loan there was no mention of a salvage-fire title. later I found out this vehicle had a flood title and probable odometer rollback. Can I get out of this with the aid of a lawyer and if so can my son get out of this contract.

P

poetress218

I have been in the auto dealer business for the past two years, and this is something I can actually speak intelligently about. In the state of Pennsylvania, (check for your own state laws) a dealership must disclose a damaged title to you, in fact, any reputable dealership will not even think of selling a vehicle that has had a branded title. That is why they have carfax.com now, make sure you always make a dealer pull a carfax for you before purchasing a vehicle. I know that doesn't help you in this situation, but the bottom line is, a good lawyer will.

JETX

Poetress: the problem is... the dealer DID disclose the clouded title... in fact, the poster says that her son signed an acknowledgment of it in FOUR places. The problem is that he apparently didn't tell her.

To answer your questions:
Q1) "Can I get out of this with the aid of a lawyer and if so can my son get out of this contract."
A1) No. Your case of 'buyers remorse' over the title issue was CLEARLY noticed to your son at the time of the purchase... and he signed acceptance. You cannot use that issue to now attempt to void the agreement.

P

poetress218

You are absolutely right, I missed that the first time I read the post, sorry.

tammy8

I didn't realize that a bank would finance a salvaged vehicle? Is the bank aware of the savaged title? I also know that in NC an insurance company is not supposed to insure a salvaged vehicle for phyicsal damage? Is your ins company aware of the salvaged title?

ellencee

In NC one can convert a salvage title (with proof of repairs,etc.) and get a non-salvage title, then obtain insurance. who knows what when on in this situation except that mom got taken to the cleaners and has to pay for a salvaged car and a defaulting son's payments or lose her credit standing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">