• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance vs. child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

protector

What is the name of your state? ohio I stand to inherit approx. 50-60k dollars from my fathers estate when he passes. He has only a simple will prepared. I presently owe back child support to a woman who is completely irresponsible with money. I would like to somehow protect this inheritance money from child support by possibly having this placed into a trust and distributed as college education money. How might this best be accomplished?

Dandy Don

Talk to the trust department of a local bank or to a trust attorney and they can advise you. That is a good idea to insure that your children will have money to go to college.

However, if I were you I would check with a local CPA or tax accountant to ask whether or not there is a chance that the amount of the inheritance distribution or payment might be reported on a FORM 1099 (that would come to you) or some other similar form from the estate federal income tax form. If there is some way that the state and/or federal government is notified that this money exists (simply because it is a fact that most transactions over $10,000 are reported to the IRS just as a matter of record--but it might not affect you in this situation because I think the first $650,000 of estate proceeds are exempt from taxes), then the state might find out about it and it wouldn't do any good to pay the expense of having a trust set up if the child support enforcement is just going to come along later and order you to take it out and pay child support instead.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">