• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jaca

What is the name of your state? Texas
The attorney that did our will is no longer in the area. We would like to change the executor of our will. Due to unemployment we would like to do this without having a lot of expense. Can this be done by a hand written note ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jaca said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
The attorney that did our will is no longer in the area. We would like to change the executor of our will. Due to unemployment we would like to do this without having a lot of expense. Can this be done by a hand written note ?
My response:

Following the laws in Texas for a handwritten Will, your changes can be effected in one of two different manners:

1. As you mentioned, a handwritten and separate note is called a "Codicil" (pronounced KOD-I-SILL). A codicil can be attached to the original Will; e.g., with a staple.

2. By "interlineation." That means, and again, following the laws for a handwritten (or "holographic") Will, you can merely cross out the original executor's name, and then handwrite in the name of the new executor.

Warning - -

If you fail to follow the laws of Texas for a handwritten, holographic Will, your changes might not be accepted by the Probate court. So, be very careful to follow the laws exactly.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">