• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military violation of 1st Admendment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AFguy

I feel that the United States Air Force is condoning/supporting religion in official government functions - violating my (and everybody elses) 1st Admendment rights.

I have served in the United States Air Force for 3 1/2 years. As a condition of my promotion I am required to attend a 5 week course called "Airman Leadership School." It is also AF policy that students attend a MANDATORY graduation ceremony, which has an invocation (prayer) as a part of the OFFICIAL proceedings. I've done a little looking around, and have found literally hundreds of similar cases in the civilian world, but none in the military.
It appears to me that the AF is blatently supporting religion - and is therefore behaving unconstitutionally.
5 days 'till graduation and I still haven't figured out what to do.

crager34

I did four years in the U.S. Coast Guard and If I remember right:

Once you sign up for Military Service, you are bound by the UCMJ.

A

AFguy

I am pretty familiar with the Uniform Code of Military Justice or UCMJ. As far as I know it says nothing of what god if any to worship and does not claim to supersede the US Constitution. It does provide who can get into what kind of trouble. Under most militaries, I'm sure there is a rule that sounds alot like "follow all lawful orders from the officers appointed above you." Key word - LAWFUL.
Whoever ordered that there be an invocation in an official military function, in which member's attendance is mandatory, issued an unlawful order.
In such case, they could be eligible for punishment under the UCMJ, not me.

ellencee

AFguy
I'll bet if you were ever being fired upon by the enemy who intended to blow your aethesit butt into eternity, you might call upon a higher power to save your skin. My guess is, you'd find some way to object to defending this country that gives you the constitution you cite so often.
Do us all a favor and get out of the military. I'm sure you can find a job in the whine for rights organization du jour in your area.

A

AFguy

Well, you are correct that I have never been fired upon by the enemy. However, in which part of my postings did I state my religious preference? And by the way, have You read the Constitution? Just because you (or we) happen to be in the majority regarding our religious preferences, does not make it right for the government to condone or support a religion, or even religion over non-religion. If we decided to admend the constitution, changing the 1st admendment, then maybe it would be appropriate.
Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the world. What happens when Christianity is no longer the majority in the United States and we are still "playing by the same rules?" These rules were put forth for a reason: to protect our freedoms.

ellencee

there is no constitution, government, or anything else on this earth that supercedes the sovereignty of God. The issue you brought forth is not a sign of our country's enlightenment, but a sign of its decay. It will be actions like yours that bring a false religion into the majority. Can you live with the results of your actions? Are you looking forward to explaining your actions to God?
I don't argue religion on this site, and try not to do it anywhere, but it really gets to me when those on whom our people depend (in the military) stand up and object to asking for God's blessings and mercy and guidance.
This country will fall into total disgrace and ruin because of people like you. Without God, we are nothing.

A

AFguy

wow... I have to admit, I'm almost at a loss for words.

Your entire argument seems to be based on your belief that your religious views are more correct than everybody elses (an understandable belief), and that since your views are correct, the Constitution doesn't really count.

I'm not even trying to say your religious views are incorrect. Like you said, that's a whole different issue. However, before you speak any more ill of me or those who express similiar opinions, consider this: it is people like me who have sworn an oath to defend at all costs (even death) your right to believe what you want.
It is a flexible government that we have. If your religious views are in fact superior to your neighbors, and since there are more of you than there are dissenters, change the constitution to allow for only your religion. That would fix everything, huh?

ellencee

by no means, compadre.
I am not God, therefore I do not know the 'truth' completely.
I enjoy the intellectual banter, and so do you--come on, admit it....that's why we're both here.

crager34

I would like to point out that I am not 100% with this.

There is a difference between a US Citizen and a US citizen. A person born within the United States of America is soverign to our Federal Government. Once contractually commited to the US Armed force's, one becomes property of the Federal Government and different rules apply (not touching the whole god's law thing).

So, if you didn't participate based on religious beliefs and were condoned in someway: In the civilian world, 1st ammendment. In military terms, dis-obeying an order.

A

AFguy

A couple of things...

1. Its grad night and they've decided to allow me to excuse myself during the invocation part of the ceremony. This is still very questionable in my opinion as I can pretty much guarantee that I will be the only one out of over 400 people excusing himself. It definitely creates isolation.
And, its not like the prayer offends me. I heard it today, and it is quite benign or generic. Howwever, the only legal way that I can see that an invocation could be in the ceremony, is if they don't consider it religious. I suppose that's possible, but I sure don't see how. In some instances the Supreme Court has found that really generic "prayer" or quasi-religious" terms or phrases are okay if they only serve to "solemnize the event". Again, I don't understand. The mention of God would not make an event seem particularly important to an atheist. You can pick a thesaurus up almost anywhere these days. There's plenty of other ways to solemize an event. The Supreme Court declared the national motto "In God We Trust" and the "one nation under God" bit from the pledge as constitutional because they do not consider it religious. (maybe you have to go to law school to under stand how that works...God...not religous?... and a little side note..did you know that neither used to exist...used to be E Pluribus Unum for the motto and no mention of God in the pledge. A Catholic group lobbied to have the motto changed. interesting...)
2. The second issue, is how far do military rights get curbed. I definitely see/understand what you're talking about. For instance, I am not allowed to participate in a political rally in uniform. I completely understand and agree with that. Also, I can't be in a hate group. (trust me, I don't want to) Now, I suppose that some people could argue that that was a violation of free speech, but in the military you just can't have that garbage. Its a fine line. I don't see how they can argue that religion of all things is something they can curb. (unless it infringes on others in some way)
Regardless of my rights as an individual, I think the military made a mistake when they put religion into ceremonies.
I think what got me so fired up over all this was not the invocation at all. It was the response I got when I started questioning it. If the first person I had talked to had said that the invocation was not in fact religious and was only to solemize the event...I probably would have stopped. (after I looked up solemize) However, the answers I have received are that This is a Christian nation..This is just the way things are and have always been..money has In God we Trust on it so religion is okay.. apparently these attitudes run throughout..
maybe i just need a nap..

ellencee

AFguy
Where in my posts do you see the words Christian, or Christ?
You are a child; one day, hopefully, you will grow up.
Good luck in the AF; it deserves better than another ungrateful troublemaker.

Last edited:
A

AFguy

ellence
in my previous post when i said that the one of the responses I received was that this is a christian nation...that was from my military superiors when i began questioning it..

and if you came here for "intellectual banter", here's a couple of hints...
1. bring some intellect
2. learn about logical arguments. when you take the argument "ad hominum" by insulting the other party, your argument is no more.

i'm here to find a resolution to this problem, not tiresome banter

ellencee

In a few years, the testosterone levels will start dropping, and a little more norepinephrine, acetylcholine and dopamine will be able to make it through your brain; some real thoughts will start happening, so be prepared for the shock.

You can't insult me, young man; I find you quite amusing.

ellencee

oh, I can't resist..I've tried, I really have...
my best friend from high school recently retired from the Pentagon as a full bird Colonel in the Air Force; I'm sure you've seen her picture; it's everywhere in San Antonio, and her husband...well, let's just say the next time a full bird Colonel named Steve looks at you, there's no need to wonder if he knows who you are...he does.

don't worry, you made a name for yourself; everyone knows your level of commitment to the Air Force, your country, and your buddies. I see paperclips in your future.

Last edited:
A

AFguy

Fortunately for me, you don't generally make it to the rank of col. by being ignorant and quick to judge. I welcome the scrutiny of higher ranking superiors. The highest level support I have now is a lt. col. so I guess that would be a step up.
As far as your statement that now everybody knows my level of committment... I find that hard to believe. You apparently cannot even fathom the level of committment that I have for the AF and our country. And as such, I cannot stand by and allow the AF to commit a wrong. These proceedings that I have spoke of have not to my knowledge passed before a legal review to question their full legallity and that is what I want. I want the AF to be as close to perfect as humans can make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">