• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement and Credit Report????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

a neighbor

What is the name of your state? Maryland

If you lose a case in small claims court, is that reported on your credit report?? Or would it only be reported if you didn't paya judgement??? Thank you for any information on this!

JETX

I don't now of any jurisdictions that automatically report your judgment to credit reporting agencies, but the judgment creditor can report it to Equifax (the others if he is a subscriber).

A

a neighbor

Thank you! Now if you don't mind I have a question about "Lack of Jurisdiction." I was ready to proceed to SCC tomorrow and file a "Change of Venue." But, I ran accross the term "Lack of Jurisdiction." Either way I'm trying to get a case moved for Washington DC to Maryland. A case was filed against me and I had planned to file one first, so there is going to be a counter suit. I payed for services and never received, but had paid a portion of the services, the services were to be in Maryland, and I live in Maryland, the only thing I did was drop a check off in Washington DC. The other party is claiming I still owe money, and I want my $'s back for services not rendered. So I can't understand do I want to file change of venue or lack of jurisdiction??

Does it also matter if I was the only one who signed a contract (back dated and faxed), the other party never did, nor did they supply me with a copy of the signed contract. Boy what a mess!

JETX

I agree, it is such a mess that I can't figure out what you are saying/asking.

You might try taking a few breaths, relaxing and then try telling us what is going on so that we can understand it. Don't take this wrong, I know that you are directly involved and may 'assume' things that you know, but we have no information on the problem, so you have to give details.

Last edited:
A

a neighbor

Thanks again! I'm the lil-ol-lady with the neighbor's tree problem from almost a year ago. I hired an attorney to give me legal advice and represent me if needed. I retained him for $750, and then was told he was mailing demands letters to the neighbor and if nothing worked he was going to file suit. hmmm I thought, thousands of $'s just to cut some tree limbs, Bought it, hook line and sinker, I even called state reps about this way of taking care of business and changing the law. Case was filed, Defendant came back with MD law regarding trees, Md doesn't sue in Civil Court over these matters. NO, my attorney still persues the issue claiming no damages (although I was persistant there was, and I think I did have a case, with no other options.) So in the meantime I shoot another check to the attorney, for more than originaly agreed on, it was more of a demand on his part (no problem.) So after the week of sitting in court watching a Judge's face after he thought I didn't have an attorney for this case, I decided to double back on the attorney's work. That's when I discover that YOU DO NOT file a lawsuit over this issue, you use self help and persue in small claims court. Was I told that by the $185 an hour attorney? NOPE.

So the story is, I paid $750, stopped payment on the other check that he had for two weeks and never paid any remainder. That was only after calling him and asking who does his research, he blew me off and stated he was in conference and never called back. I waited 24-48 hours and then I issued a letter as to why I was firing him, and proceeded to beg the court for dismissal, and case was dismissed.

The attorney has filed a SSC in DC for $1217, I'm a MD resident, his services were for MD, and he served me in MD. I don't want DC to hear this case.

My defense to this is, I was NEVER informed of my options. It would be crazy to think I would spend thousands of $'s, compared to $495 to do the work that is now done, and then persue in small claims court latter. Can't think of how many people I told "NOPE this is the way you have to do it, have an attorney send letters of demand, and attach the house if need be!" Sheeesh!

Was I not owed all options under the law?? Was I not entitled to a contract?? Am I just screwed (hope not)! I just want the case out of DC and in MD, I need to act quick as it's on schedule for July 1st, Thanks again, See why I didn't put it all out in the open!

JETX

You might find the following links of interest in your possible pursuit of this attorney and his representation (or lack of):

"A lawyer’s conduct is closely governed by the Maryland Rules of Professional Conduct. If a lawyer fails to follow the Maryland Rules, he or she may risk suspension from the practice of law or disbarment. If you believe that your lawyer has acted unethically, you may file a complaint with the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland, 100 Community Place, Suite 3301, Crownsville, Maryland 21032. The Commission will acknowledge your complaint and send it to the lawyer involved for comments. If the complaint is still not resolved between you and your attorney, the Attorney Grievance Commission will conduct an investigation to determine whether the lawyer violated the Maryland Rules. If the Commission’s investigation uncovers a violation, the attorney may be sanctioned by the Court of Appeals of Maryland."
Source: http://www.msba.org/departments/commpubl/publications/brochures/lawyer.htm

Also:
http://www2.law.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/foliocgi.exe/md-code/query=*/doc/{t1}?

Finally,
http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/maryland.html

A

a neighbor

It's sad I thought about that route. But that (from what I read) will not get you money back as like in a small claims case. Not giving him any more money and getting $749 (he can have a dollar) back was my concern.

I hate to have to proceed against a professionl, we all work hard, and I hate to slam anyone, BUT for the life of me I can't figure him out.

So now I must consider dismissal or change of venue in the SCC case in DC?? I got lost when I seen the term "Lack of Jurisdiction."

You guys are great, thanks for being here!

A

a neighbor

OK I don't know how you people do it, but you couldn't pay me enough!!! I will move forward with a Motion to dismiss, or in the alternative for a change of venue:D

DC really doesn't want to hear it as long as it's no in the public interest (say if I was up against a big corp with public involvement), it's only of personnal interest. The case law to back it is Mattie L. Carr, Appellant v. Bio-Medical Applications of Washington DC 366 A 2d 1089, 1976, sheesh that was a days work:)

I will post a question on my other problem!!

Thanks Halket, I've read just about all the links you've posted, and in the best interest of the people will more than likely file a complaint. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">