• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims court, out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rshyx

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
I have received a notice from small claims court in New Jersey that I am being sued for Breach of Contract. My wife (at the time) and I had signed a lease contract for a vacation time share in Atlantic City. We were divorced about ten years later, no idea where she is now or name she is using. Although the lease was paid in full, I am being sued for maintenence fees for the last 5 years . I have not used the fascility for the last 5 years, as it became very run-down and lost its RCI membership. The summons came to both me and my present wife. As the names on the original contract (me and first wife) are different then those on the summons, is it valid? Is the claim filed in NJ valid in CT? Do I have to appear in court in NJ?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">