• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babyjane

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband and I agreed verbally to allowing his brother in-law and wife to reside in our elderly folks house in order to take care and attend to them (as the wife is a registered mastered degree nurse.) My husband and I reside in Florida and we were happy to hear they wanted to do all of this for them as long as they would be cared for at home according to their wishes.
They moved in about 5 years ago and put on a $100,000 addition to the house in order to do so. We thought it was a nice gesture as they had resided there for 40 years. Our folks even deeded the house to them in order for them to have enough money for this elaborate addition.
Mom since passed away and died per her wishes at home. However, sister-in-law did no caretaking of her. Hired help did. My father however, is totally bedbound and not really of clear mind now. He is blind and deaf. They recently placed him in a nursing home against his wishes and and took off for a long 6 week or more trip. They have no intentions of bringing him home as its been a year now.
In addition to this, they spent alot of money on caretakers for them instead of sister-in-law doing it and now, the nursing home is eating up his savings and our inheritance. They will walk away with a $400,000 house and we will get nothing in addition to that the sadness of a promise not kept.

The attorney spoke to us and said he recalled the property transaction and such but had no agreement from anyone in writing. Help!!!!!
:confused: Thank you,
Babyjane

ALawyer

Depite the best of intentions, even supervising others providing caregiving is a big burden, and beyond what may have been contemplated.

It may sound unfair from your perspective, but I am sure there is another side to the story -- and from my experience outside caregivers do not do it all by any means. I have seen family members leave a job to be there for an elderly relative, even with full time outside caregivers. It's no picnic. And while everything has a price, I do not have a clue as to what YOU would have charged to switch places.

I am not sure what if anything you can do at this point, or even what is fair.... Nor do I know if you are properly aggrieved or just selfish. I suggest a family therapist may be more effective than a lawyer in helping you figure this out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">