• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen resale items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yagkitty

What is the name of your state? Ohio
my case involves me trying to sell used childrens clothing and toys to local resale shop. I dropped the 50 plastic tote off and the staff told me to come back in an hour or two to let me know what was acceptable. I came back and was paid $8.80 for about 8 items out of the close to 100 items in the tote. I was told to pick up the rest of my items on the porch (it was an old house). The tote was not there.......actually it was stolen. The workers claim they "keep an eye on the items out there". The shop offered to pay me for my tote........$15.00. I was paid that, but not offered any compensation for the lost goods. I did not take an inventory of the items ...but have an idea of what was in it. The owners claim that the clothing was stained and the toys were broken. This was not true.....and she said it wasn't valuable to me because she said it didn't sell at my garage sale. These items in the totes was selected clothing and toys that I wanted to try to sell at the resale shop. I am at a loss what to do. I inquired if the store had a policy on lost or stolen items....the answer was no we don't.

I

ishotthesheriff

I really can't answer as to the legality

of the store's liability but I know that those resale shops are notorious for being very picky about what they will buy. The merchandise has to be practically perfect. And then they'll give you $1 for something that they'll sell for $8. You're much better off donating the stuff to Goodwill or the Vietnam Vets and taking a tax deduction. It's a lot less aggravating. BTW, I thought that was pretty nice of them to give you $15 for the stolen tote.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">