• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writing a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jason in LA

What is the name of your state? CA

I lost both the trial and appeal. I owe the lady $5000. I told the judge all I could pay was $100 a month, because I'm a full time student. He accepted it. The problem I'm having is that this is on my credit, and I want it off. I went to the lady that I owe the money and told her a plan that would get her the money much faster and would save my credit. I told her I would pay her $1000 now(I had a check in hand for it). Made a schedule that said I would pay her about $1000 every 3 months. By the schedule that I made she would have gotten her money in less than a year. If we went by the courts, it would have taken years. The only thing I said she would have to do is sign the form that says the judgement was satified for the courts. That would release me from the courts, and get it off my credit. I told her I would write up a contract that stated that I owed her the money, and when the payments would be due. This would protect her interest. She agreed with it because she would have gotten her money a lot faster, and the contract would protected her. She wanted it notarized, which I agreed. We went to an income tax person that she knew to get it done. When we got there the income tax person started acting like she was a lawyer, and said that once the lady signed the papers that the case was satified, she couldn't do anything to get her money from me. I don't know if this is true or not. Wouldn't a statement that says I owe her that much money, and when I was to pay it, hold up in court? If I didn't stick with the payments on the contract that I made, couldn't the lady take that paper that was signed by both of us and notarized, and have a case against me? Once the income tax person told the lady this she back out of the deal.

How can I make a contract between me and her that will hold up in court? What is the correct way of going about this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">