• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Our Dog?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Roann

What is the name of your state? New York

My family recently adopted a really nice dog that needed a home
We were asked about taking him, I wanted a little time to think
We took the dog in. My husband spoke with the owner of the dog
they made arrangements to have my husband take the dog, at
5:30 the next night. (History): The reason the dog needed a home was because he was always left outside rain, snow, cold
he was picked up by the dog warden several times. The fines were getting to heavy for the family to pay) The day after getting him we bathed him an made an appointment to see the vet.
I was told he needed rabbies shots in order to get him a lincense. The last medical attention the dog was given according to the papers we were given was 1999.

The problem: The man who gave us the dog(it is a mutt) 20 old daughter came home and had a fit she called us screaming and
being very nasty. I told her to speak with her father and grandmother. They asked for the dog to get a good home or they were going to send him to the pound if no one took him. She insisted that the dog was hers and the father and grandmother had no right to give the dog away. It got ugly. I told her the dog was now ours I have young girls and they love him, he will be taken care of.

1. I would like to know if they can sue and get the dog back,

2. Also if I take it to the vet.(as planned) and licensed will that stop them from getting the dog?
Please help, my children will be heart broken. He is now living in a big house iin thwe country with a lot of room to run without getting picked up by the dog warden. She has a small apt. in New
Rochelle NY (city like area)

:confused:

ninalou

1) Take the dog to a vet to get it shots. Having a vet that can validate it's your dog and that you are a responsible dog owner is very important.

2) Get the dog licensed now. If you have a dog license, the dog belongs to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">