• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In FL for SC info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

supplymedic

What is the name of your state? Florida. My father passed away in January. He and his girlfriend were living together in SC. after being together for about 5 years. After he passed away his girlfriend told me that they were considered common law married after 12 months in SC. What are the facts? Dad did not have a will although he was 75 and passed away very suddenly. I am wondering if I should seek an attorney to settle his affairs or trust his girlfriend who has become very distant since his death

ALawyer

Get a lawyer's advice in the state he lived in. You can not trust her advice as it is totally colored by self-interest. She has every reason to lie, and I see no basis for you to trust her.

Simply "living together" does NOT create a common law marriage in the states that still have common law marriage -- usually common law marriage involves holding oneself out as a married couple, and acting accordingly -- sometimes with joint tax returns, holding property together, etc. And even if they were married, at common law or by a judge or clergy, that does not mean that she necessarily would have inherited everything he owned as in most states the spouse gets a marital share (like the first $X) and a certain percentage of assets above that. If there was any significant amount involved, get a lawyer's advice in the area in which he died.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">